Tuesday, May 17, 2011

2nd Grade Math comes in Handy!

LESSON #1
So when your teacher told you "You need to pay attention to this math lesson, you will definitely use it when you get older" she/he was serious! Thank goodness I paid attention rather then pass notes (which I did during Social Studies for sure). 25+ years later, it has paid off. LOL!!! Simple couponing refers back to 2nd grade math. Let me take you back a few years.

Word Problem
Part A: If a coupon says .25 cents off a liquid soap and a supermarket will triple it. How much is the coupon worth?
Part B: The store also has it on sale for 99 cents instead of 2.99. How much do you have to pay out of pocket? How much do you save from the original price?

Show your work:
.25 x 3 = .75 (what coupon is now worth)
.99 - .75 = .24 cents (what I would pay)
$2.99 - .24 = $2.75 (what I saved from the original price)

So .99-.75 is .24 cents. I PAY .24 cents instead of $2.99

GRADE A+

See how second grade math works!!
Stay tuned for lesson #2

No comments:

Post a Comment